Stroudsburg, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: Thank you in advance!!!

Hi, Here’s my question.

My father has own land in Puerto Rico for about 30+ years Maybe even reaching 40 yrs.

Me my brother and my sister are all adults, we were supposed to keep the land and the house in Puerto Rico after his death.

But he has been married now for quite a while.... does his new wife keep everything when he dies?????.

Or can we go to court considering that he had this land for a really long time before he married her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is not the kind of question that you can get a general answer to. Many questions such as does dad live in Pennsylvania or in Puerto Rico. And where were they married? and does dad have a will? you (and dad) will need to meet with an experienced estate planning attorney to make sure dad has the proper planning in place if he would like you and your siblings to get the property in Puerto Rico when he passes away

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.