Los Angeles, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What if I have been renting a bedroom for the last 21 months on a gentleman's agreement from a man just died May 1st

And now his arrogant, mean, hateful ex wife is doing all kinds of illegal things to me. Like changing all the locks to everything and only giving me 1 key to 1 door. And now they've completely locked me out of the garage where all of my electrical and carpentry tools and materials are located? Please I am very afraid of this woman & her 2 big, young sons. 19yo & 20yo. I'm 55yo white/caucasian man w a known disability of DVT in my lower left leg. Now shes also trying to charge me $80 extra to continue to use an 8x8 storage shed out back also

Please, again, I am begging you for help bcuz I have very little money for an attorney right now. But I am a 35yr journeyman electrician that makes decent money when there is no pandemic. Please I honestly fear that she or her sons are going to send someone over here very soon to make me disappear in the desert someplace? Or in the ocean. There is no doubt she is planning something along those lines, 100% guaranteed

Me 310-706-7320

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your "gentleman's agreement" is only worth the paper it is written on. However, your LL is not allowed to commit "Forcible Entry" under CCP 1159 or 'Forcible detainer" under CCP 1160. These things include changing locks to exclude you from real property that you are entitled access to. You are also entitled to bring an independent action against the LL on a variety of claims, including Nuisance, Conversion of property, infliction of emotional distress. But this is not solving your immediate problem. You state you have no money, this poses a problem, because you need a lot of legal services. You could try for help from a Legal Aid society in LA, contact the LA county bar association to see if they can refer you to a tenant's rights attorney, or go to the courthouse self help department. You can file a restraining order against anyone who has threatened you such as the boys of the new LL, and perhaps even the LL herself. It is not necessary to post your entry several times on Justia, just refresh the screen and you will see the posting. This is not the place to get legal help, you need to contact an attorney, IN LA, directly.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.