Hillsdale, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Can a house guest that has become a resident refuse to leave a home when it is put up for sale by the owner?

My grandmother has two fam house , paying tenant upstairs. My aunt lives with her and her boyfriend claims to pay rent for a room elsewhere but sleeps by my grandmother every night and every day is there with my aunt. If something god forbid happens to my grandmother , and her three children want to sell the house, can this dead beat (possibly

Now a resident) boyfriend stop the sale and refuse to leave, thereby needing to be evicted? And even though he doesn’t pay rent in cash payments, he has done light maintenance work and stays there every day now for 8+ months....is he really no longer a guest but now a resident? He doesn’t have mail sent to the address. Thank you for your time in responding to my inquiry.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: Yes. From what you described he sounds like he needs to be evicted through legal means if he chooses to stay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.