Glen Cove, NY asked in Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: Can you be retroactive charged for child support if you received an increase of pay or switched jobs to a higher salary?

Non custodial parent, original order was in 2016 when I was a seasonal employee. Rate was 75/week. Then switched jobs and for a higher salary but did not inform mother. I’m not in the child support system, I pay her directly. Will I be retroactively charged once she takes me

Back to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If there is no child support order at all (either from Family Court or through Divorce) you can not be obligated to pay any retroactive support, with the exception if the custodial parent is on public assistance. If there is an active order, retroactivity only goes to the filing date of a new support modification petition. Again, if there is an issue of public assistance then there can be retroactivity to the date of the beginning of public assistance for the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.