Traverse City, MI asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: If I vacate a home I own with another unmarried person in MI, does that person have gain rights to my share of the home?

We have resided together for 20 years (last 10 in MI where the house is). We own it jointly. I have made all the payments and have proof. If I move out, and continue maintaining the home and paying the mortgage, can the other person gain financially when we finally sell due to my not residing in the home? The word "abandonment" gets thrown around, and I want to ensure that this situation does not equate to any abandonment issues for me if they may come into play.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You do not need to reside in a home to maintain an ownership interest in it.

However the nature of the ownership matters. I would suggest you bring a copy of the deed to a local real estate attorney ASAP to review that and ALL the circumstances.

There may well be issues not obvious from this brief description. To try to provide advice based on such a brief passage would be dangerous.

— this answer is offered for information only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek local legal advice if you have questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.