Jackson, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: My rights as a green card holder


My husband and I have been married for 12 years and I got my green card about 2 years ago.Now he wants a divorce, moved to Texas and deserted me and our 2 small children since March .I'm worried he would take my green card away once the divorce is finalize because he was the sponsor.

Thank you


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Hi Anna, your husband cannot take away your green card from you. From what you explained about the length of time together, it sounds like your marriage is bonafide and you qualify for a green card. The only instance where USCIS will investigate your eligibility is if there was marriage fraud involved.

Since you are already a green card holder, you'll just have to wait 5 years to get your U.S citizenship instead of 3 for spouse of U.S citizen.

This is not legal advice**

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.