Omaha, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: Hi, I received a letter from the Nebraska child support services asking me to contact them to discuss a matter.

I am not on the birth certificate. The child is 13 years old. Previous father was taken off the birth certificate recently due to dna test, but is still in the childs life. I have also been in the childs life and provided for them with shelter, clothes, school supplies etc. The mother is threatening me for child support. I have absolutely zero legal binding obligation to the child. Can I be forced to take a DNA test and be put on child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: A court can order a party to take a DNA paternity test in a pending paternity/child support case. The Court can enter an order of sanctions, including a default order finding to be the father, if a parent doesn't follow the order for DNA paternity testing. If found to be the child's father, a parent can be ordered to pay child support. A letter is not the same as being served with a court action and then having a hearing on whether to court will order the father to submit to DNA paternity testing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.