Upper Darby, PA asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Maryland

Q: I was arrested (3/27/2010) by the Navy in MD for driving with a suspended license. I need documentation for the trial.

Are you able to point me to a website or phone number so that I can obtain the results of the trial? If I remember correctly, the charges were either dropped, or I payed a fine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you were stopped by a naval police officer (MP?) then this occurred on a military base and was prosecuted in the United States District Court before a US Magistrate. That could have been in several locations in Maryland, so it depends on which base this happened upon. Typically, if you were convicted, then the conviction date and offense description would be reported to the state that issued your license, as well as possibly to the Maryland MVA as well, so you could request your complete driving record from those states to see what, if anything was reported. Maryland's MVA has an website and online option for paying and downloading your driving record (if you ever received a conviction of a traffic offense in Maryland, you have a driving record). There are two types of driving on a suspended license, one is charged under subsection (c) of the applicable code section, and the other under subsection (h). The difference is significant: a (c) violation carries 12 points, a year in jail and $1,000 fines; an (h) violation back then was for failing to pay the fine on a prior traffic ticket, and only carried 3 points and up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. Prosecutors commonly dismissed the (h) violations upon proof of payment of the unpaid ticket. For a (c) violation, that's a serious offense, so either is was negotiated down, dismissed because you got the suspension resolved before trial, or the judge granted you a "probation before judgment" and did not enter the conviction. If the charge was dismissed or you received a PBJ, then the ticket would not appear on your driving record. Locating disposition records for cases this old before a US Magistrate may not be possible. I am unsure they keep records that old, or accessible online. The federal PACER system is used to look up electronic docket records for the US Courts, nationwide. You could try that. Maryland's US District Court is split between a Northern and Southern Division, and there is a criminal clerk's office in each. The Northern Division of the court is in Baltimore, the Southern in Greenbelt. The Magistrate Court locations have been mostly consolidated to Baltimore, Greenbelt and Salisbury. They used to also have satellite locations in Hyattsville, Ft. Meade, Rockville, and others, but most of those locations have been closed and any files would have been consolidated to either the Northern or Southern Division locations. Look up the clerk's phone numbers for those locations and inquire about how you might find the disposition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.