San Diego, CA asked in Small Claims for California

Q: can any type of legal action be taken against a company

i was asked to leave my housing because a worker who did not announce an allergy made a complaint to management who then pulled the work crew from the premises due to said allergy. there was no smoking in said workers prescience and the same worker again came back to work at the residence. due to this worker making the complaint and the work crew being pulled my mother has asked me to move for using a legal substance in an outside space. the question is can the company be held responsible for the monetary loss that is being incurred from the time i left the residence till i find a new one. or who exactly is at fault or is no one at fault. can the company legally remove the workers due to this action for a time then send the same workers back without verification of removal or stipulations the smoking not happen while the workers are there. - the worker was not present while the marijuana was being smoked his co-worker was and said there was no problem and to continue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Employers are prohibited from discriminatory actions against an employee based on a protected classification, such as age, race, physical disability. Smoking, whether tobacco or marijuana is not such a prohibited classification. If you have significant financial loss, you should seek the assistance of a SD Employee's Rights attorney. You can check the local Bar Associations or the CAOC, who maintain a list of attorneys who could assist you.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.