Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property)

Q: Dear lawyer I want to re-accept or re-register my patents. Please guide me . Thanks a lot

my patents are out of date .

And I want register them in canadian patent with added claims .

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: Once a patent lapses because it's term expired, there really is not much that can be done. This is because patents are specifically made so that after a certain period, the invention passes to the public.

If your patent lapsed due to non-payments, under some limited circumstances, the patent may be revived.

But generally the way that technological companies protect their inventions is by making new inventions, and patenting those new inventions. If you've improved your product within the last year, then you may be able to get a patent on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.