Bothell, WA asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for California

Q: How do I legally register my fiancee as my emotional support person? Like a support animal but support person.

My fiancee was arrested for something receiving known stolen property but he didn't know it was stolen but because the cops found the stolen stuff in his house they are claiming he knew it was stolen. They're trying to give him 3 years but I legitimately can't go a day without him. He's been in jail for a week already and every day since he got arrested I've had multiple anxiety attacks in the same everyday, mental and emotional melt downs, freak outside, horrible depression, haven't been able to sleep good at all or for longer than 2-3 hours at a time IF I am able to fall asleep at all, I can't function normally, I can't find the ambition or the energy to do anything some times, most times I have to do something anything to keep my mind busy which doesn't help at all cause I still freak out and start having anxiety attacks and all kinds of stuff. He is the only financial support I have so without him I'm going to loose my house and not have anywhere to stay.

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is no such thing as a legal registration for support animals. Someone on the internet will sell it to you, but it means nothing. There is also no such thing as a "support person." Even if there was such a thing, and your boyfriend qualified to be one, that would not be a defense to receiving stolen property, nor would it prevent him from going to jail/prison after being convicted of a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.