Gwynn Oak, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: Is it recommended to file taxes separately when husband has child support obligations?

Husband had child outside of our marriage. After that mess, we managed to still be together. Financially, I would not like any of my hard work /financial to be something the birth mother can use to her favor. My husband has 50/50 custody with child support obligations. If any motion is filed and we have to provide financial information such as taxes. Can my information be redacted? Or, is it recommended that we don't even file together?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Only your husband's income would count towards the child support obligation. You have no legal obligation to the child so you income cannot be considered for calculating the obligation.* His income is proved in ways other than tax returns. His W-2 shows only his income.

For calculating how much he can afford to pay on the arrears, if any, they may consider your income for purposes of how much HE has left over after his contribution to the bills. But the court will not presume you will pay 100% of the household expenses while he pays off the arrears. A lawyer can explain this better in person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.