Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Immigration Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: Can My ex make me move back to NY?

My ex and i Start having problems on sept. And we agreed that i would have our baby in México where My family is and then he would go get us and return to the US (NY) but we Start having more problems once i confronted him for cheating on me so he text me i could stay un mx if i wanted and he would give me money to live comfortable with our son. Then 1 day before My trip to México he filled for divorced (23rd) but he couldnt served me as My fight left at 5am. (24th) he Is a NYS trooper and he has threaten me to Sue and put me in jail since he claims i fled the country, kept our son from him, and comit varios crimes before i left. Our baby was prematur after all the emocional abuse i received. Our child is 5 months now, he has o ly ask about his well being 3 times, he doesnt support us finantially. They said i need to go back to NY to sign the divorce papers but i'm afraid My visit Will bring more troubles for me and My son and they Will make me move back to NY i'm SO Lost! I'm afraid

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the baby was born in Mexico, you cannot be forced to move back to NY. You also do not have to come back to sign any divorce papers. You should speak with an attorney about the divorce or ask the judge who has your case in the supreme court to appoint an attorney to represent you on custody and support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.