Celina, TN asked in Land Use & Zoning for Tennessee

Q: I live in Fentress County Tn and have a cave on my side where cave is about halfway up side of cliff.

New neighbor who has contract on the house next door, his property runs next to my cave. He wants to cut down all trees.He told me he could not afford the house and wanted to bring in sawmill company to pay him to harvest all the trees on land. When it rains all rain goes down in this cliff with water at bottom. It rains like a rain forest since we live on top of cliff. Was told there is law that people can not come within 200 feet of cave to take trees away. Animals go in cave. If neighbor does this he will cause a sinkhole and my house and land will be destroyed. What can I do to stop him from completely destroying my land and the cave which comes about half way up cliff and cave is under my property on my side. I own my house and land.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file suit in Chancery to enjoin activity that will directly destroy your property. You are entitled to adjacent and subjacent ground support of your bordering lands. But it will be expensive, requiring experts, and you will need a competent attorney to try it. Injunctions will also require a bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.