Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Alabama

Q: Girl is married while having baby and husband is signing the birth certificate. Am I responsible in Alabama?

Girl got pregnant, and started dating her husband 1.5 months into pregnancy. They got married and he is signing the birth certificate and wants to adopt the child. What needs to be done and would I have any financial responsibility if he signs the birth certificate and I wouldn't see the child or pursue seeing the child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The legal father of the child is the man to whom the mother was married. If he never denies the child, and accepts the child as his, you cannot be held responsible for the child and you also cannot assert any right to the child. See Ex Parte Presse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.