Brunswick, GA asked in Business Law for Georgia

Q: So my husband and I owned our own business and with some events we gave back his money he gave to us and what our compay

made he is now using our company name We want him To quit using our name and company name

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nicole Theodore
Nicole Theodore
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Depending upon the circumstances leading up to this, you can send him (or have your lawyer send him) a cease and desist letter.

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera agrees with this answer

A: As I understand your question, you and your husband owned a business together and you gave him back some money he had given you. Was the money he gave you a payment for your ownership interest in the company? Was there an agreement signed? If you were given a check or a cashier's check, did you deposit it into your account before refunding him the money? Are you still married?

You need to discuss this issue with a local attorney that can look at public records to see how the company is registered, and also look at any agreements you may have with your husband regarding your ownership interest in the company. You may still both own the company, or maybe he is the sole owner. An attorney, after doing some due diligence, will be able to tell you who currently owns the company and can do business under its name.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on this information without first consulting with your own lawyer and discussing your specific facts and available options in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.