Queens, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: been a tenant for 20+ years in my apt in queens ny. I wanted to use my security deposit $20+ years ago of $1100

Been renting more 20 yrs in my apt in woodside NY, (queens) and did alot of renovations and never bothered my landlord for anything. Before pandemic my landlord told me she needed her apt back to use she gave me 1 month notice. I told them i will look for an apt but till then i will continue paying my now $2100 rent.

Now i got my apt and ready to move out and i wanted to use my security deposit of $1100 , 20+ years ago as my last rent payment .

But my landlord threaten to sue me if i dont replenish it with another $1000.

What are my rights as a good paying Tenant for 20+ years

Are there anything i can get paid ,for all the renovation and updates i did.

And do i get anything back for being a Tenant for 20 years and have been paying on time .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you are moving at the end of the month, the Landlord has no means to enforce the demand for an additional security deposit before you move. Unless a tenant has an explicit agreement with a Landlord to provide reimbursement for renovations, a Landlord is not obligated to reimburse a tenant and can actually seek to recover damages from a tenant if the alterations were unauthorized. By being a longterm tenant and paying rent on time, you fulfilled your legal obligations and apparently had a home you enjoyed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.