Capitol Heights, MD asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: How do I get a case dismissed so me and my boyfriend don’t have to go to court

My boyfriend got charged with second degree assault I don’t want to press charges nor do I want to go court for this case how can I get it dismissed I reached out to the prosecutor but I haven’t been able to reach her yet so what I can do fast efficient to get it thrown out

1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It's completely out of your control. The people of the state of Maryland through the office of the state's attorney are prosecuting the case. The decision whether or not to proceed with the case is within the sole discretion of the prosecutor, not the victim. You can certainly make your wishes known, but, unlike a civil case, this case is not yours to proceed with or discontinue as you see fit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.