Kansas City, MO asked in Estate Planning for Kansas

Q: Can I sell a car titled in the name of the a trust if my brother and I (only beneficiaries) are both in agreement to sel

My parents are both deceased. The trustee has done nothing for six months and now refuses to handle the trust. What are my options? My brother lives out of state and thinks that now he can just start sending off to access money from the IRA, investment account, and life insurance that are designated to go to the trust. I have had two opportunities to sell this car, a 2001 Hyundia, that no one drives and I refuse to continue paying insurance on if it is not technically my car. I live in MO and the trust is in Clay county, MO. No notary is needed on a car over 10 years old here in MO and my brother and I would both sign the title to sell it if we are able.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: The starting point is to read the trust document to see how one goes about removing and replacing a non-performing trustee. I recommend that you hire an trust administration attorney or trust litigation attorney to help you with this.

Doug Coe agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.