Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I missed a court date and now I have a capias and a $10,000 bond and EMU hanging over my head. How can I avoid the EMU?

In April I was charged with violating a CPO after having to vacate my house.( wife and I are divorcing). I went to court date in May and the case was continued due to Covid19. The new court date was sent to my house which I dont have access to and I failed to appear at the arraignment. I looked for the court date online and saw that a capias was issued July1st and $10,000 bond and EMU.

I am essentially homeless since being ordered to vacate my house. I have no home to be confined to and being on EMU would most likely get me fired from my job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There’s no guarantee. You’ll just have to ask your lawyer and request the court drop the monitoring requirement and tell the judge why that would be a good idea. Some judges are flexible, others are not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.