Rancho Cucamonga, CA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Can I sue my Guardian for threatening me at 14?Can I get a job at 14 if I was kicked out of my house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To partially answer your question about the problem with your guardian, until you are age 18 it is likely the judge will keep your guardianship in place. However the guardianship judge has the power to change the guardian to another person, if the current guardian is not doing his or her job properly. One argument between you and your guardian is usually not enough reason to change a guardian. Do you know another adult over the age of 18 who would be willing to act as your guardian? If you do, the most likely chance of success is to ask that person to file a petition in the court to end the current guardianship and order this new person to be your guardian. Your new guardian would need to file the papers in the guardianship court to ask this from the judge. There is no guarantee the judge would grant your request.

If you want to work, and you have a guardianship, you need to talk to your guardian about it.

To partially answer your question about working, read this:

This clip below is from www.job-applications.com

"California Child Labor Laws

California Work Permit Regulations

"In general, , any individual under the age of 18 must obtain a work permit before starting work, though work authorization is unnecessary for emancipated minors. If they choose to pursue work that will require them to miss school, they may also need the approval of the labor commissioner. Students often get a work permit application from their school, provided their grades and attendance is up to par. Once school is out, however, minors must figure out how to get a work permit in the summer before they can join the workforce.

Do you need a work permit during summer?

Yes. California state law mandates that all minors have a work permit before gaining employment.

"Where can I get a work permit besides school?

Minors can find work permit applications on the Department of Industrial Relations or California Department of Education websites.

How do I get a work permit during summer?

Print a “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit” application from the webpage, or get a hard copy from a local board of education office.

Underage hopefuls and their legal guardian must complete the form before giving it to a potential employer

This employer must possess a valid “Permit to Employ and Work” certificate, allowing them to legally hire minors."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.