Mansfield, MA asked in Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: Can I lose custody of a my child in MA because I moved into an RV?

I have primary physical custody. I recently had to move out of my apartment. I moved into an RV that I wanted to live in full time with my child. I lost my job in March because of the pandemic and have not since found employment, but actively looking. I moved out of my apartment last month because I could not afford rent. I moved into an RV with my child. We're temporarily staying aat a campground for the summer. We have full hookups with electricity, hot water, sewer. We also have fully functioning AC. My child is well taken care of. There is no drug use or alcohol. We have food and she has plenty of clothing. There's no abuse or neglect. We only moved to an RV. Can my ex get awarded sole physical custody only because I plan on living in the camper full time? Is that really a sufficient enough reason to lose custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: In and of itself, this is not an issue unless the child is adversely affected by the move or if the public school system -if applicable to your child -will not accept that you are a resident in the location of the campground. It is unclear why you would have moved from your apartment at this time as there has been an eviction moratorium.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.