Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can a husband legally come and take the children from the mother if he hasn’t been there in 7 months

My daughter kicked her husband out of the home back in December due to violence I’m the sole care taker of my daughter and kids this man does not pay support or help with any thing these children he drinks and does drugs doesn’t have a home or job he calls her daily making threats he will have the police come take the kids if she doesn’t do what he says I need help in this matter can he do this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Until she divorces him, he has equal rights to the children. So he can come and take them, just as she can take them. It would be wise of her to consult with an attorney about her options to move forward with a divorce if that is the direction she wants to go in. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.