Decatur, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: How can you get child support of you both agreed 8 years ago to none but he has nothing to do with the child or help?

We were divorced 8 years ago we have joint custody but it's more of I have full custody due to whenever he was suppose to have the child his parents had her. He only shows when its convenient such as birthdays and holidays. He claims her on income tax and I'm left with the responsibilities and the only help I ever receive is from his mother for school. Do I have to have attorney to change it or can I request child support through dhr?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. There are several factual questions that need answering before you receive advice on going through DHR or not. Letting an attorney review your divorce documents will answer those questions and you can be properly advised at that point on whether you need to file in your DR case or open a seperate CS case. Thank you for your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.