San Antonio, TX asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: I recorded a TOD deed on my dad's home with the county clerk in Texas a few years ago.

I left out two pages that were blank regarding beneficiary selection that did not apply (option A & B). I did complete section C, but did not mark the box indicating my choice. Based on the above info, is this TOD deed still valid, or will it be deemed invalid at the time of my father's death?

OK....I have received two responses, and evidently I need to clarify. First of all, my dad completed and signed the TOD deed, and it was record by the Bexar County Clerk's office. Again, assuming everything else is done correctly, would either the fact that I did not include pages two and three that were irrelevant (and blank), or did not check the box next to option C, invalidate the TOD deed?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: It is invalid because it should have been filled out and signed by your dad.

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your father should file a correction deed.