Fairfax, VA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Am I legally allowed to do this to lower my potential future child support?

I am 30 years old own my own home and live with my girlfriend. We have a fairly large income difference where she is making in the mid 5 figures while I am making close to 7 figures. I don't plan on ever getting married but I realized that if things don't work out in the future then, I would have to pay an ungodly sum of money in child support that will not be used on the child. I was wondering if I am allowed to ask my girlfriend to be a surrogate for me where I would have the sole parental rights. This way, if we separate I would still allow her to have 50/50 parental control over the kids. In addition, I would want to sign a cohabitation agreement with her that gives her x amount of money for x amount of years if we were to separate which would act as child support payments. I was just wondering if I am legally allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance,

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You REALLY need to consult with a Family Law attorney in your area. Posting this information on a public forum is UNWISE.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.