Tucson, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: my sons mother hasnt seen him in 4 years what would i need to get full custody? theres a joint custody already on file

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You would need to file for a modification of child custody, child support, and parenting time in the court where the joint custody order was issued. Explain that you have had sole responsibility for the past four years and the mother has not made any attempts to exercise any parenting time. You will need to serve the mother with the paperwork and see if she opposes your request to modify. If she does not respond, you may get your request by default. If she opposes, the court will set a hearing date to listen to both sides and make a decision.

You should start at www.sc.pima.gov. Click on "Self-Service Forms." There is also a link on the forms page to the Arizona Courts web page. Both will be helpful in filing for your modification.

Jay Hall agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.