Kent, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho

Q: My ex has cut off all contact between my son and I. Is that legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Of course it is "legal," but shouldn't be. There SHOULD be a law prohibiting both parents from slandering or saying anything about the other parent to the children. This is called "alienation of affection," and it does more harm to children than any other kind of abuse besides sexual abuse. It genuinely f's with kids' minds to have one parent telling them that mom or dad doesn't really love them or doesn't see them because they don't love them etc. Worse, one parent can begin telling the child that the other parent "touched them" and make the child afraid of the other parent. Any parent who would lie about the child being touched and tell the child this, should lose their parental rights forever. If you have a DECREE, you should read it to see if there is any language in it which guarantees both parents the right to contact by phone or otherwise, their children. If there is NO such language in the Decree then I would ask the parent cutting off contact why they're doing this and warn them that this conduct must stop and if it does not that you are going to contact an attorney and move to modify custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.