Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How do I get landlord to make appropriate repairs in my unit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The legal standard is not "appropriate" repairs. You may think a new coat of paint or new carpet is "appropriate" but the law does not require that, it requires that the premises be habitable and the LL supply certain basic needs, like water, electricity, sewage. Read your rental agreement as to what the LL is responsible to maintain. You need to consult with a Tenant's rights attorney in your local area. Be sure you have sent a written notice to the LL about what you are requesting that he do, and be sure to give him a reasonable time period to perform the repairs. Under California law you have an option to make the repairs yourself and deduct the amount from your rent but you must provide the landlord with written notice of your intent to do that, including the amount involved. Google "Calif. repair and deduct" and read exactly what is required.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.