Schaumburg, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Do my husband have to pay back pay even after paying child support since divorce.

If my husband has been paying child support for both his kids since he divorced his ex wife and has never missed a payment and also sent extra money when needed, mind you this is just a set amount they both agreed on. Now since he married me she’s trying to get back child support from when they been divorced? Can she legally do this? We also have records of all money that was paid out and they also went to court in the beginning and the judge ordered him to pay less then what he’s actually paying. Can I please get legally assistance or should we go get a lawyer? HELP

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I am not sure what he has paid vs. What he should have paid vs. What the court order says. If there is already a court order and she wants some child support from prior to the entry of that court order, i am not sure she can do that. The better course is to bring all of your papers to a family law attorney to review for you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.