Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: Can ex husband deny my Thanksgiving vacation with our daughter?

Per our custody agreement, my ex husband and I both receive 2 one week vacations a year with our daughter. Because we have not been able to travel recently, I am trying to plan a safe secluded getaway with my daughter and my parents for Thanksgiving break (not flying, but still driving 6 hours away to a family cabin). Based on our schedule which alternates holidays, my days that week are Monday through Wednesday AM and then Thursday AM (Thanksgiving) through Monday, which would give us the whole week minus that one Wednesday which is his. I told my ex our plans and offered to switch him a day on either end in exchange for the Wednesday to travel and he said no. I asked why and he refused to answer. I know he does not have any plans that day especially 4 months in advance. He has a track record of doing these types of things to be spiteful, but I am just getting tired of it. I always let him travel to see his family and have extra days when he wants them. Do I have any recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Suggest you contact your family law attorney and go to court to seek a specific order allowing you to take your daughter to see family on Thanksgiving. The sooner the better, since courts are clogged.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.