Morganton, NC asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can a judge issue a default in divorce without me submitting a motion to default form?

Wife served me with nearly blank divorce papers and never responded to my counter petition or amended counter petition. Other than initially being served by the sheriff, she has failed to e-serve me properly with any other documentation nor has she amended any of her blank documents, other than the financial affidavit when the judge ordered her to during temporary relief for timeshare hearing.

The council I'm seeking is regarding whether I should file the motion for default form, or will the judge rule this a default without my request? I'm concerned that my motion could for some reason be denied and we would have to start over and she will have another chance to file properly.

Could the judge decide on her own accord to default, or must I take the risk and file the motion for default to take place?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Motions for default are usually a waste of time. However, based on the procedural facts you presented, you can draft and file a motion to compel an answer to your counter-petition, and to compel production of documents requested, which your spouse must respond to or be sanctioned for not responding; and the sanctions can include granting the relief requested in your counter-petition.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.