Roanoke, VA asked in Employment Law for Virginia

Q: Can I request that a written disciplinary action be removed from my personnel file after a certain period of time?

I was written up in 2018 at a regional jail I worked at for what I believe was unjustified reasons. I have nothing else on my record. I am currently in the hiring process for other law enforcement agencies and I believe this is hindering my background process. I have heard that they are allowed to be expunged or taken out of my file after a certain period of time. Is this true? And I entitled to have it removed at my request after that time period?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Additional information is needed to answer your question. Are you a member of a union? Your union contract may dictate if and when a disciplinary write-up "falls off" or can be removed from your file. You should review your union contact or a handbook for this information. There is no general legal requirement that an employer remove a write- up from your file after a certain period of time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.