Dumfries, VA asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I have 10 years green card through my husband but now divorced have a child want to apply to citizenship.

I'm 10 years Green card holder and i obtained it through my husband But unfortunately was divorced 2 years after getting 10 years green card. I also have a child after marriage.

But now i am divorced and separated.

When i will apply for naturalization Is there any problem for me to apply for citizenship as I was divorced 2 years after getting green card. We did marriage for love and lived together but unfortunately it was not worked and result was divorced.

will i be in trouble when i will apply for citizenship because my husband gave me divorced 2 years after getting my 10 years green card and we were married for almost 4.5 years and also have a child.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Hey, As long as your marriage was bonafide and you do not have any criminal records to make you ineligible you should be able to naturalize with no issues. Contact an immigration attorney for a full evaluation of your situation before proceeding to make sure you have all the supporting documents you need.

**This is not Legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.