Northampton, MA asked in Probate for Massachusetts

Q: My uncle passed away leaving me as his executor and heir. All of his siblings passed before him.

His will is going into probate. Can I sell him mobile home, valued at/equal to less than 3000.00 before probate finished. I have someone who wants to buy it but wants it by 08/01.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you have filed a Voluntary Statement if the estate is $$25,000 or under and have received the certificate back from the Probate Court, you can do so. If you have filed either a Formal or Informal Petition for Probate of Will, you will need your appointment letter from the Probate Court to do so. You would also need a Federal taxpayer ID # for the estate. Don't make distributions without knowing if MassHealth of another creditor is owed money and you should have counsel for the estate guide your actions with advise on statutes of limitations and distribution and payment consequences and your obligations as a Personal Representative, if applicable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.