Torrance, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: I have leased a home for 9 years, the lease expired after a year and never signed another lease. Can I be sued damages?

There have been no upgrades, maintenance etc over the nine years I have done all upkeep myself. The home will need new carpet, drywall repairs and paint.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Unless the original signed lease specified otherwise, then when it expired, you became a month to month tenant, and either tenant or landlord can terminate that occupancy at the end of any month by giving 30 days written notice. Tenant is responsible to pay for any damages to the premises beyond ordinary wear and tear. Landlord must return the security deposit to tenant within 30 days with an itemized list of any amounts withheld. If the deposit is not enough to cover repairs, then landlord could try to collect that amount by suing tenant in small claims court, which then will determine the amount of repairs beyond ordinary wear and tear.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.