Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: My friend was recently pulled over, and drugs were found on him. Is it my right to ask to see the video of the traffstop

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: It depends.

Is it your right to be provided the video as part of the case? No. Discovery of all evidence the State has in its possession is the right of the Defendant and his counselor/attorney.

Is it your right under the Freedom of Information Act? Maybe, but probably not. Active law enforcement investigation FOIA requests may be denied until the investigation is no longer ongoing. At that time the request must be complied with in a reasonable amount of time.

But another question is this: do you know what you’re looking for in terms of impacting the outcome of a case? Or are you merely curious?

I would encourage your friend to contact a firm with experience in drug crimes, such as ours.


Ryan D Templeton agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.