Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my marriage negatively affect current court orders?

I recently got married for the first time. However, I have a child with my ex. We went to court in 2018 and he gave me sole and legal custody. He Went back shortly after but he was denied his motion to vacate and set aside parenting plan. However, now there’s been a notice of appearance filed so I know a modification is probably underway. My question is, will a modification be granted? Although I recognize a marriage can be a “substantial change to circumstance” it has not negatively affected my child, in fact on the contrary, My daughter and husband have a great relationship, my child has principal’s honor roll, she is in a stable & loving home and is thriving.

Thank you in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is impossible to predict what may happen, but now that your child's father has an attorney, it would be a good idea to get yourself an attorney too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.