Santa Barbara, CA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for California

Q: How to get refund from a bad contractor Job

So we had three units of AC installed in our two-story condo by financing the cost through lender.

From very beginning we have had issue with the unit, which including leaking refrigerant inside every single unit, wrong wiring, etc. We have called the company and every time either nothing get fixed or partially fixed. Now when we turn on the unit water start pouring out of the unit on the floor.

I am sick and tired of these guys and looking to have them come uninstall the whole unit and pay my money back (pay off with creditor and pay back whatever we've paid) because I can not trust the unit after all the water and refrigerant leak (and possible damage inside).

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry about problems. Send contractor and lender a notice of rescission, the undoing of the contract, demand they remove units and refund all your money. Now, the real problem is that if you read your loan documents, the financing is probably not dependent on the job being done properly and you cannot use any defenses against the contractor against the lender, and you will be stuck with the loan for the term of the loan. You need to contact a local attorney specializing in Commercial Disputes, or Landlord Tenant or Business disputes, or contract disputes right away before this goes on for too long.

Justia Disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.