Cleveland, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: If your landlord try’s returning your security deposit after you’ve sued in small claims, do you have to except ?

My landlord has not returned my security deposit yet and it’s been 2 months already. I filed a small claims case , suing for double , and right when I did , then they wanted to finally respond saying that it’ll be coming in the mail. I asked them to pay the $65 filing fee I had to pay and then I would dismiss the case. If they only send my security deposit and not the filing fee, could I wait until the hearing and be awarded double still even though they finally sent me my security deposit which was already too late?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can reject the payment. The damages, including double damages and costs, accrue at the time of filing. If they hadn't paid anything at that point, then they are still liable for the security deposit plus statutory damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.