Ardmore, TN asked in Estate Planning for Alabama

Q: My adult children recently inherited their deceased fathers home however there is a woman who is squatting in it

They was advised to serve her a 30 day written notice Which they did The utilities are listed in my name Can I legally suspend the utilities after the 30 day notice to vacate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: No. You will owe her money if you do. The next step is to evict her. Go to small claims court and get the forms, file them and have her served. Once served she has 14 days to answer. After that, then you can file for a default. After that if she’s still there then ask for a writ of assistance to forcibly remove her by the sheriff.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.