Columbus, OH asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: My apartment told me via email that I would get a rent discount for August. Now they are saying I won't. What can I do?

They told me I would get a $350 rent credit for a resident referral. I confirmed twice with them if I would still be receiving the credit, and they told me that I would and to expect it on my August rent. When it wasn't added to my account,they are now saying that another person was put down as the rent reference. Because they told me via email that I would be getting this credit, is there anything I can do to get it legally?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You could sue them in small claims court for breach of contract. But for $350, it might not be worth the time and effort. You could tell them you are filing in court, but that might not make them give you the credit. But they might decide not to renew your lease. Check your local court web site for the small claims court process and how to file.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.