Belleview, FL asked in Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: How much evidence do I need to file a Discrimination/Slander lawsuit against winn dixie employees for calling me names

I was in a electric shopping cart and several employees and customers called me unnecessary names because of the way I look

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Before asking what evidence you need, the first question is whether the facts support any type of claim that would be viable in court, as that is the only type of claim that the company's lawyers or insurance carrier would take seriously. Under most circumstances, an isolated incident of name-calling, no matter how aggravating, does not give rise to any viable claim. To determine if you have a viable claim, run all of the facts by an attorney.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: Keep in mind that with libel/slander cases, attorneys don't always readily take them on in a contingency basis the way they would with a car accident case. That could mean paying legal fees by the hour - you could check with attorneys to ask if it would be something cost-effective to pursue. Good luck

Tim Akpinar