Decatur, AL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Alabama

Q: My son just turned 18 last week. He did not finish school or graduate. He is HF Asperger's, and has tried to work.

His anxiety was too bad to continue. His dad has stopped child support, but I'm confused as to where it's 18 or 19 in Alabama. I see 19,with stipulations. Help please, thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It’s 19 In Alabama. He has to pay until your son turns 19, which is the age of majority in Alabama. Additionally have you thought about applying for disability for your son? Especially if a doctor recommended or diagnosed him with a condition that makes it impossible for him to work. You might want to try that. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.