Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: My grand daughter is in my care in Ohio. The State of Kentucky has custody of her. I've had my grand daughter in my

care for 4 months and I haven't asked for a penny. But the State of KY is still receiving $ every month and my husband and I are the ones who are providing for her. We will have permanent custody in 2 months which means I would have her for 6 months. Is it illegal for the County to keep postponing the court date for me to get custody of my grand child! They allow me to care and provide for her but they aren't willing to help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It’s up to the court to rule on motions to continue hearings. The county can only ask. As long as the court keeps granting them, it’s legal. You could start to object and perhaps the court will see fit to put a stop to the delays.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.