Queens, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: I have a misdemeanor bench warrant for bail jumping If I surrender how much jail time

I paid the bail in full.

Charges : damage property and 2 trespassing

The charges were filed on Oct 2018

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael J Stachowski
Michael J Stachowski pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends especially how long you skipped out. If you have a lawyer and surrender its possible the fail would be restored for yhe first no show if it was more than the court could hold you until case is completed. On a misdemeanor the maximum sentence is one year which is actually 8 months when good time is factored in. Most misdemeanors plea down to violations absent a bad criminal history. In your case restitution is the most important element. Make sure you have a lawyer and access to restitution. 2 years is a long time but quick resolution will save long jail time. A violation is 15 days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.