Lancaster, TX asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: How does a joint estate get split up?

my grandfather passed in 2000, my grandmother passed in 2017. They purchased a joint home. They only have one child together but each of my grandparents had children from previous marriages. My grandfather has no will. My grandmother has a will that can still be probated. Is it 2 separate estates or dors the home go to the only child of that joint union?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Each of your grandparents had a 50% community property interest in the home. When your grandfather died, your grandmother retained a life estate, which has now expired. Each of your grandfather's children inherits an equal fraction of his 50% community property interest. Your grandmother's 50% community property interest passes under her Will. Please hire a probate attorney who practices in the county in which your grandparents lived and died to help you settle their estates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.