Baltimore, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: I would like to know more about the eschete laws in maryland as it pertains to foreclosed real property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Generally foreclosed real estate does not escheat to the state. Instead, it belongs to whomever purchased at the foreclosure sale.

For mortgage foreclosures, if no one else bid at the foreclosure auction (for a mortgage foreclosure) the Lender will win the auction. The law requires that a "report of sale" be filed with the court after the foreclosure sale. Thereafter, a deed should be filed signing over the property to the new owner (whether the Lender or a third party purchaser).

For tax sale foreclosures, most counties hold an annual tax sale for properties with unpaid tax bills. For example, a county may hold in May or June an auction for real property with outstanding tax bills unpaid for the prior tax year. Members of the public bid at tax sale foreclosure auctions and the highest bidder "wins" the tax sale certificate. If no one bids, the county will hold the certificate. For most properties, the certificate holder must wait 6 months after the tax sale, then they can file to foreclose the right of redemption and fully own the property.

Maryland has a system for reporting unclaimed / abandoned personal property, but it does not include real property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.