Howard, OH asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: What can be done when a father IS threatening taking a child when rights havent been established and mother has custody

Father filed for custody in 2015 and never appeared to finalization hearing so case was dismissed but is now threatening to appear at mothers house with police presence To take child out of home and mother has full custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It is an empty threat. If he cannot provide the police with any custody order, they are not going to do anything. Call your local police ahead of time, explain the situation, and tell them to be alert for him making any false claims to them. If he makes any threats of physical harm or causes an altercation, call the police, file a police report, and apply for a protection order. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review the situation, and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.