Denver, CO asked in Personal Injury for Colorado

Q: My father Sue's a doctor for malpractice. The state has a cap. Doesn't even cover the medical bills can I personally sue

I was wondering if I can sue for personal damages

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Colorado attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for a week. What you describe is part of the "tort reform" measures applied to medical malpractice cases across the nation, with each jurisdiction applying its own particular guidelines. As a GENERAL measure across the nation, caps tend to apply to non-economic losses such as pain and suffering, and often exclude economic damages such as medical expenses. But every jurisdiction is different and there are jurisdictions that impose caps on all forms of damages. Recommendation - consult with a Colorado med mal attorney for guidance on the operation of med mal caps in Colorado. Attorneys in this area often provide free initial consults. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.